I recently made a move 213 miles (by van) to a new city south of where I used to live.  To a city I never knew very well but I’m already thinking I will enjoy it here.
Since moving here 3 weeks ago my body is already learning to adapt to the difference in weather and climate. I don’t drive, but I have noticed how different the roads look from the roads back north. The city itself is much larger, and being a university town, is highly populated with young adults. The mood here seems hopeful and reckless, but scared, possibly the whole city is thinking about their future. I feel it too of course, who doesn’t take time to think about tomorrow, except maybe those who are stuck in yesterday, or lost in the here and now.In reaction to these thoughts, I’ve decided to start waking up earlier. In the past I’ve been a 10 or 11  guy, but now I’ve got  my alarm set for 8am. 8 is a fine time to get up, maybe stretch, plenty of time for breakfast and showers, plus I just like the way I feel when I wake up at 8am. Like I’m waking up with the rest of the city, the cars are just starting to fill all the lanes on the road, the sun is just starting to get warm. With all the time between when I wake up and when I need to be somewhere I can prepare for my day at my own pace. This way I can focus on letting go of fearful thoughts about my future, and focus more on how grand my future truly will be.  It’s my own 3 or so hours of peace, of serenity.

If your looking for some peace, for that feeling that makes morning people out of normal people, then maybe you should try waking up earlier. Then again, maybe you can’t afford to wake up any earlier. If you’re going to bed so late, or if you’re raising a newborn child, you might not get the same feelings I get out of waking up early. And of course I neglected to mention the 6,5, and even 4am people. The true early birds who, by 8am, are well into their day, their peace and serenity done and over with. Left behind on their pillows  just awaiting their return for another night of deep dreaming. They have already outmatched me, and maybe I could learn a thing or two from them someday. Not tomorrow though, you see there is also a lot one can learn about the peace and serenity of sleeping in.