Last week I took the journey to a large Volkswagen Festival just outside of my hometown. I got together with fellow VW enthusiasts from all over the state. We spent some time walking around the camp looking at other VW’s and voting on the best of the best. We also played games together: hacky-sack, bean bag toss, and horse shoes where surprisingly common. However the thing we did the most all weekend was sit either under the shade of a giant tarp or by the warmth of a night-time fire, and drink beer. I may have taken my fair share or shots and I did drink one or two Margarita’s but for every drink that wasn’t beer, I made up for it with three times the alcohol in beer.


I’m not bragging about my ability to drink alcohol, if you where to ask anyone who was there last weekend, they would be quick to say so. Regardless of my abilities, I did have a few too many. It was because of all the binge drinking that I came home feeling really really sick. On the drive home alone I had trouble remembering which way was up, and every time the car came to a stop the inertia set my stomach on edge. I felt lucky to make it all the way home without losing my breakfast burrito to the garbage bag in my lap. Once home I needed to lay down, then to sit up, then to eat, and for the rest of the night I wished I hadn’t eaten. I never did throw up though (I wish I could say that was a good thing, but the pain of waiting for it seemed just as bad as getting it over with). Because I had gotten so sick I had to call off all of my appointments. I had to e-mail my professor and tell him I couldn’t bring in my paper for a few days, and I had to call in sick to work, which I can’t say they where happy about. Especially after I had asked them for the weekend off just to go to my Volkswagen Festival.

The aftermath of the weekend was nothing I would have put myself through if I had known ahead of time how it would turn out. Heartburn, nausea, and stomach pains for the rest of the week. After the first day I felt better enough to return to my normal daily schedule, but not good enough to eat more than half a bagel and a few crackers. On the second night I had to sleep sitting up because my heart burn was so bad I couldn’t take it laying down. Needless to say, I regret drinking so much last weekend. Drinking can be fun, and it can definitively sooth the mind, but this soothing sensation is only temporary. Your body doesn’t take to well with being force fed poison. After it’s all said and done, drinking is pretty damn stupid.
Excuse my french.

Sadly, drinking is usually a social event. As much as I commend such acts as saying no to booze and enjoying yourself a nice cup of tea, I don’t usually follow that path myself. I usually take my time drinking, once the buzz sets in I avoid getting drunk if I can. Could be I might need to be the sober one later in the night when everyone is falling all over themselves, or it might be I’m not spending the night, and I want to make it home without difficulty. Whatever the reason is at the time I just don’t get that drunk too often…

It was here in the thought process I realized what I had over looked. I had skipped right on past my own advice and had even sub-consciously phrased it just so. Tea. There’s a great idea. Why isn’t that in my path? Why havn’t I already committed myself to being the tea drinking guy at the get togethers. I’m not a partier and therefore cannot be held accountable for not drinking. I have no qualms with people thinking higher or lesser of me due to my love of tea. Where in the instruction manual of life does it say that tea is a solitary drink anyway?
Thus I have decided:

Where’s the music?! Someone call up the girls! I’m going to have myself a Tea Party.