Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Jobless Thanksgiving

Last week I quit my job. I had been working at a Subway for over a year, it was a simple job. The work was easy and in fact I very much enjoyed making sandwiches for folks. Sometimes customers could be rude or get impatient but I tried not to hold it against them. I would just picture myself in their shoes, no matter what kind they were wearing.


I would think to myself, "They're in line at this sandwich shop because they're hungry. All they really want is a great sandwich, something worth eating." And whenever I'm standing in that line I'm persistently hoping, wishing, that I'm gonna win some extra tomatoes or a free scoop of avocado. (Can you really blame me? - I love food.)

Well, anyway.. I quit my job last week. It was a horrible week for me to quit on them, and I went about it in an immature manner. I'm actually pretty ashamed of myself, but I won't try to hide my mistakes. It's better to face our shame then to run from it. I had been asking for extra hours for some time, having already been receiving around 16 hours a week I wasn't bringing in enough cash to pay the rent. With the holidays quickly approaching everyone was about to get some extra hours. Working in a mall really has it's benefits around this time of year and I had every intention of taking advantage of them.

I was told to come in every day of the weekend: Fri (6 hours), Sat (6 hours), Sun (6 hours), and even Mon (3 hours). However my girlfriend Emily and I had recently purchased tickets to see the new Harry Potter movie. The showing was for 7:20pm, but the thing was, I wouldn't get off work until 9:00pm. I felt bad about missing the show we had planned on, so I bought tickets for the next showing, 10:00pm.

 The morning of Friday the 19th I awoke to my phone ringing, but let my voice mail catch the call. I had dreaded going into to work all day, and with roughly a half hour before my shift started I was sitting in Emily's car. Being ready for work a bit too early, I took the time to check my voice mail. I discovered from the message left that my shift actually started in the morning and that I was horribly late. This was strange for me because I'd always been a closer, having never worked a morning shift before. As the voice mail finished I realised that my shift would end at 5 and that I only had half an hour left of work.

So I decide to ignore it, and Emily and I had a wonderful night at the movies. (Harry Potter 7 Part 1 was grand, I highly suggest it if you enjoyed the book.)

Believing that I had most likely lost my job I did not return to work the following couple of days. I am ashamed to say that I ignored my co-workers phone calls, and deleted their voice mails. I rudely abandoned them without any warning and even when they tried their hardest to explain to me that I still had a job, I would not listen to them. For a few days I felt like utter shit until my manager finally called. I knew exactly what I was in for.

In the end I chose to officially quit. I was done with Subway, pure and simple. I had allowed the thought of not working sneak it's way into my mind, and I was ready for a break. On the bright side, I didn't have to work on Black Friday. Best of all, I got to enjoy Thanksgiving with my friends and family in my home town.

Now that turkey day is gone, it's time to get a new job. I've already handed out resumes to all the nearby locations. I've even received a call back from my top choice: the movie theatre we went to when we watched Harry Potter. I'm really excited about getting this job, because I used to work at movie theatre 2 years ago. Tomorrow is my interview, and we'll see what they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment